The Ontario Chamber of Commerce (OCC) held the Ontario Economic Summit 2019 at Hotel X & Beanfield Centre, in Toronto (for the first time in a decade) from November 13 – 15, 2019. Amongst rapid change in the global business environment, Ontario is faced with how to ensure its future: this conference is an opportunity for industry leaders, leaders in the non-profit arena, entrepreneurs and government official to meet to discuss how.
Speakers and sessions included:
- Doug Ford, Premier of Ontario
- Ontario Cabinet Minister Roundtables
- Bruce Croxon, Managing Partner, Round13 Capital, TV Co-host, The Disruptors
- Richard Fisher, Senior Advisor, Investment Bank, Barclays
- David Frum, Senior Editor, The Atlantic ( CANADA IN A TIME OF GEOPOLITICAL UNCERTAINTY )
- Mayor John Tory, City of Toronto (Welcoming Remarks )
- Takako Ito, Consul-General of Japan in Toronto
- Brice de Schieter, Deputy Head of Mission, EU Delegation to Canada
- W. Brett Wilson, Entrepreneur & Philanthropist
- Perrin Beatty, President and CEO, Canadian Chamber of Commerce
- Vassy Kapelos, Power & Politics, CBC News Network
- Andrea Horwath, Leader of Ontario’s Official Opposition and NDP
- Wendy Cukier, Professor, Entrepreneurship & Strategy, Ted Rogers School of Management
- DOES GEOGRAPHY MATTER IN THE 21STCENTURY ECONOMY?
- THE NEXT BIG IDEA PITCH SESSION
- ONTARIO’S SCALE-UP CHALLENGE
- EVOLVING ALONGSIDE ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE
- Networking Breaks & Reception
The Ontario Economic Summit Mission Statement
“The Ontario Economic Summit is the forum for visionary leaders in the public, private, education and not-for-profit sectors, to shape Ontario’s future growth and role in the global economy.
To develop results-oriented solutions that foster shared prosperity and sustainable economic growth for Ontario.” [ www.occ.ca]
The Ontario Business Achievement Awards
The Ontario Business Achievement Awards (OBAAs) was held on November 14, 2019 and celebrated business success across a broad range of industry sectors and sizes from across the province.
The 2019 OBAA winners are:
Lifetime Achievement Award, Sponsored by BDO Canada Inc.: David Patchell-Evans, Founder and CEO of Goodlife Fitness
CEO of the Year Award, Sponsored by Air Canada: Howard Eng, CEO of Greater Toronto Airports Authority
Excellence in Innovation Award, Sponsored by CPA Ontario: Muskoka Lakes Farm and Winery
Ontario Leader in Accessible Employment Award, Sponsored by Government of Ontario: Sodexo Canada
Sustainability Award, Sponsored by York University: 3M Canada Company
Diversity and Inclusion Award, Sponsored by Meridian Credit Union: Danby Appliances
Industry Award: Tourism: Great Wolf Lodge
Beyond Borders, Business Award, Sponsored by Purolator: Microbix Biosystems Inc.
Young Entrepreneur of the Year Award, Sponsored by Stratagem Group : iLobby Corp.
About the Ontario Chamber of Commerce
“For more than a century, the Ontario Chamber of Commerce (OCC) has been the independent, non-partisan voice of Ontario business.
The OCC’s mission is to support economic growth in Ontario by defending business priorities at Queen’s Park on behalf of its network’s diverse 60,000 members. The OCC’s vision is to foster a vibrant and economically sustainable province that is driven by an innovative, successful and ever-expanding business community. From innovative SMEs to established multinational corporations and industry associations, the OCC is committed to working with our members to improve business competitiveness across all sectors. The OCC represents local chambers of commerce and boards of trade in over 135 communities across Ontario, steering public policy conversations provincially and within local communities.” [ www.occ.ca]
The Ontario Economic Summit was an important & interesting conference for Ontario business & non-profit leaders as well as government officials who got to trade information & ideas about how to grow Ontario while still maintain a high living standard for all.
© 2019 TorontoArtsandEvents. All rights reserved. Editors please contact us for use.